Sir Alex Ferguson says Marcus Rashford is not a striker – and has recommended Manchester United to buy “an extra one” if Erik ten Hag’s revival continues.
Rashford, 25, scored his 25th goal of the season as Manchester United defeated Newcastle in the Carabao Cup final on Sunday. The in-form England forward took advantage of a fortunate deflection and looped over Loris Karius to double the lead Casemiro had given the guys in red and white.
Rashford’s performances this season have been anything from fortunate, as he is in top form and has assumed the mantle of being Manchester United’s primary provider of goals. His sharp movement caused Kieran Trippier problems at Wembley Stadium and thrilled Old Trafford legend Sir Alex Ferguson from the stands.
When attending the final, the Scot provided his assessment of the Red Devils academy graduate, noting his shooting technique as one of his important assets. Having said that, Ferguson believes Rashford is most productive on the left flank and that United would be wise to sign a fresh striker this summer.
Ferguson said of Rashford to Sky Sports: “He’s not a striker, in my opinion. He has been terrific when operating from the left side. His finishing is always fantastic, he keeps his shots down – which is crucial for a striker – and he is in great shape. Sadly for us, he is the primary supplier of goals – we could use another, but he is doing it.”
Following Cristiano Ronaldo’s contentious exit in November, Ten Hag signed fellow Dutchman Wout Weghorst on a short-term loan from Burnley in the January transfer window. In 12 games for his temporary club, the 30-year-old has only scored once, but his all-around skill has impressed.
Despite his contribution to United’s Carabao Cup victory, it does not appear that Old Trafford officials will attempt to recruit Weghorst on a permanent basis from Championship leaders Burnley at the conclusion of the season.
Instead, they are expected to target Napoli wonder Victor Osimhen, who scored his 19th goal in 20 Serie A games on Saturday to help the Italian giants extend their advantage at the top of the table.
Earlier this month, it was reported that Napoli will demand €100 million (£88 million) to part ways with their prized asset. United was given cause for confidence last week when club president Aurelio de Laurentiis confessed that “occasionally there are offers you can’t reject”.