Man United are likely to let two players leave before “proceeding” with their pursuit of Sofyan Amrabat, according to Fabrizio Romano.
Following the additions of Mason Mount and Andre Onana, Manchester United are hoping to acquire a striker before next season.
Rasmus Hojlund of Atalanta has emerged as their main target, and he has reportedly finalized personal terms with Manchester United ahead of his move to the Premier League giants.
Man United, who have already signed Mount, are also interested in Amrabat, who was a star performer at last year’s World Cup.
The midfielder from Morocco and Fiorentina has also been connected with Liverpool, and his agent, Mahmoud El Boustati, has revealed that “quite a few clubs are interested” in him.
“Quite a few clubs are interested in Sofyan,” he said to Voetbal Primeur. “It is now up to you to make the right decision.” He is still a Fiorentina player and reported to the club on Monday.
“If something interesting comes up, Sofyan and Fiorentina are both willing to take the step.” He is interested in two or three clubs.
“Saudi Arabia has expressed interest.” However, there is no concrete offer or interest.”
According to Romano, Manchester United will “focus on a new midfielder once they have signed a new striker and completed deals for departing midfielders.” Players like Fred and Donny van de Beek have been considered as possible replacements.
“The plan for Amrabat is to wait for Manchester United to sign a new striker and then proceed,” Romano stated on his YouTube channel.
“[This will be] following the outgoings.” Fred will depart Manchester United this summer. We’re just waiting to find out where. Let’s see what happens with Donny van de Beek next.
“Once the outgoings are completed, Manchester United will focus on a new midfielder, and Amrabat is undoubtedly one of the big names on the list.”
Fulham are interested in Fred, while Van de Beek may return to Dutch heavyweights Ajax.
Van van Beek returned from injury during the preseason and scored in a friendly against Ligue 1 side Lyon. He said after the game that “there’s still a chance” he’ll depart this summer.
“This was a big moment for me,” said Van de Beek. “There’s still a chance I’ll relocate, but we’re keeping our options open.”
“It was fantastic, my first game in six months.” I don’t have to tell you that the injury is a mentally trying time. It felt amazing to be back on the field, and it’s even better when you score a goal.”