Manchester United could be approached by Atletico Madrid for striker Anthony Martial, who has been linked with a move away from Old Trafford.
The player’s agency stated earlier this month that due to a lack of playing time, the Frenchman would be looking to depart the club in January.
Despite being under contract until the summer of 2024, Martial has only made 10 appearances this season, scoring one goal, and now looks poised to try to force a transfer next month when the transfer window reopens.
According to Eurosport, Atletico Madrid is considering an exchange deal in order to sign the 26-year-old midfielder.
The article does not specify which players could be presented to United in order to persuade them to do business, but the La Liga club is prepared to ask whether any of them are suitable for their transfer ambitions.
Kieran Trippier has previously been linked with United in the hopes of providing healthy competition for Aaron Wan-Bissaka.
Atletico Madrid has long admired Martial and believes that his public attitude on leaving has paved the way for him to complete a move to the Wanda Metropolitano.
With interim manager Ralf Rangnick recently downplaying the allegations, it’s unclear if the Red Devils will allow Martial’s request to go in January.
I don’t connect with agents through the press or the media. ‘The player hasn’t discussed it with me or us,’ he said.
‘After the final training session before the Crystal Palace game, he notified the doctor and the medical department that he would not be available because the discomfort in his knee was too severe.’ We’ll have to wait and see what happens.
‘He could be able to train again [on Sunday], but I need to consult with the doctor first.’ To be honest, I’m not really interested in what his agent says in the media.’