Predicted Lineup: Manchester United vs. Crystal Palace, Carabao Cup
After securing their first victory in three matches against Burnley, Erik ten Hag’s Manchester United is set to begin their Carabao Cup defense against Premier League rivals Crystal Palace.
With the pressure mounting on Ten Hag in the 2023–24 season, fans are eager to see how the team will perform in this competition after a successful run in the previous season.
Here’s the predicted lineup in a 4-2-3-1 formation that Ten Hag could field for United’s upcoming Carabao Cup clash:
- Goalkeeper (GK): Andre Onana: The Cameroonian earned his first clean sheet since the season’s opening weekend and is expected to continue guarding the goal.
- Right-Back (RB): Diogo Dalot: With Aaron Wan-Bissaka sidelined due to injury, Dalot will be relied upon to excel in the right-back position.
- Centre-Backs (CB):
- Raphael Varane: Varane’s return to action at Turf Moor was welcomed by United supporters, and Ten Hag may choose to give him more playing time against Palace.
- Victor Lindelof: Injuries to Lisandro Martinez and Harry Maguire make Lindelof a likely candidate for the other center-back position.
- Left-Back (LB): Sergio Reguilon: Despite being an unwanted Spurs left-back, Reguilon has made an impressive start to his Manchester United career.
- Central Midfielders (CM):
- Sofyan Amrabat: Recovering from a minor injury, Amrabat made his Premier League debut as a substitute and is expected to make his first United start in the cup.
- Christian Eriksen: After starting in Munich, Eriksen was an unused sub at Turf Moor, indicating his potential start in the upcoming cup tie.
- Right Midfield (RM): Facundo Pellestri: Facing a less challenging opponent than Alphonso Davies, Pellestri is likely to feature on the right wing.
- Attacking Midfield (AM): Bruno Fernandes: While Ten Hag is expected to rotate the squad, match-winner Fernandes from Saturday’s game may retain his place in the starting lineup.
- Left Midfield (LM): Alejandro Garnacho: The spirited winger is a strong contender to start after not featuring in the previous match, especially with Marcus Rashford unavailable.
- Striker (ST): Rasmus Hojlund: After scoring his first United goal against Bayern, Hojlund is an essential figure in Ten Hag’s plans and is likely to get more playing time to gain experience.