Ten Hag very Excited after getting Green-light on ‘first phone call’ with Greenwood as possible return date announced
Erik ten Hag reportedly 'pleased' Mason Greenwood charges dropped as Man Utd boss 'has first phone call' with striker
Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag reportedly called forward Mason Greenwood after accusations of attempted rape were dropped against him.
Manchester United head coach Erik ten Hag is said to have called suspended forward Mason Greenwood, telling him he was “pleased” that a number of criminal allegations against him had been dropped.
Greenwood was arrested in January 2022 on suspicion of attempted rape, assault, and coercive and controlling behavior, with a court hearing set for later this month.
However, on February 2, the Crown Prosecution Service decided that there was “no longer a reasonable chance of conviction” for the 21-year-old.
United, for their part, suspended the player immediately after the allegations were made public, and they are currently conducting their own internal inquiry.
The club is said to have had little communication with Greenwood throughout, though a source tells The Sun that head coach Ten Hag recently called the 21-year-old after the charges were withdrawn.
The Dutchman is believed to have checked on the player’s physical and emotional well-being and was “pleased” that the allegations against him had been dismissed.
According to the report, Greenwood, who joined the club when he was six years old, appreciated the gesture because contact had previously been through third parties.
Any such call does not necessarily imply Greenwood’s immediate return to the squad. United’s women’s team recently expressed their displeasure at the thought of Greenwood’s return, and some of the men’s team are said to be feeling the same way.