“I’m told” – Fabrizio Romano now shares what De Jong is “telling his agents” about Man Utd move
According to journalist Fabrizio Romano, Manchester United’s target, Frenkie De Jong has already notified the club that he wants to stay with Barcelona, but the player could alter his mind.
Erik ten Hag has had a difficult summer window and an even worse start to the Premier League season, so he will be eager to bolster his squad before the September 1 deadline.
What is the most recent Frenkie de Jong news?
When the Red Devils reportedly had a £63 million deal approved for De Jong earlier this summer, expectations were high at Old Trafford.
However, some concerns arose when it was revealed that the 25-year-old was embroiled in a dispute with Barcelona over deferred wages, potentially delaying the transfer.
De Jong was reportedly said to prefer a move to Chelsea if he were to leave the Camp Nou, with the Blues now also interested in signing him this summer.
Last week, it was discovered that Joan Laporta and the rest of the Barcelona board were contending that the contract granted to the £164,000 per week player by their predecessors was illegal.
Meanwhile, United attempted to sign Juventus midfielder Adrien Rabiot, but the agreement appears to be on the verge of collapsing due to personal differences between the two parties.
What is Romano’s take on De Jong?
According to Romano, De Jong prefers to stay in Barcelona and a message has been given to his agent, the Catalan giants, and any interested clubs.
The transfer guru also thinks that United is unlikely to be the only club interested in signing the Netherlands international this summer.
“From what I’m hearing, the player is still telling his representatives, Barcelona, and all the clubs approaching him that he wants to continue there,” Romano told GIVEMESPORT. So, in a few moments, he may change his mind, and perhaps it would. But for the time being, he is still focused on Barcelona. I’m not convinced that only Manchester United is interested in Frenkie De Jong.”
What happens next for United?
According to The Athletic, United’s chase of Rabiot is on the verge of collapsing, leaving them scrambling for options late in the window.
According to the magazine, other players being considered are Real Madrid stalwart Casemiro and Brighton and Hove Albion teenager Moises Caicedo.
Concerningly, the article claims that United is only in the last phases of selecting where to spend their funds, with less than two weeks left in the timeframe.